The 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available now for students planning to attend Northeastern State University for the next academic school year starting Fall 2019. Go to the FAFSA application.
NEW! Students and parents can now complete the FAFSA form using the myStudentAid app. The app may be downloaded in the Apple App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
Step 1 – Gather Materials
- Social Security Card
- Driver’s License
- W-2s and tax returns
- Bank Statements
- If considered a dependent student for Federal Aid purposes, you will also need your parents information
Students are considered dependent if they do not meet any of the following criteria:
- 24 years of age or older
- Have dependents, whom you provide more than half of their support
- Released from active duty by military with an honorable discharge
- At any time after the age of 13 either both biological parents were deceased, you were in foster care, or were a ward of the court
- You are or were an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence
- You were under legal guardianship, as determined by a court in your state of legal residence, when you turned 18
- At any time after July 1, 2018 (for aid year 2019-2020), you were determined to be homeless by your school district, homeless liaison, director of emergency shelter, or director of runaway or homeless center
- Graduate Student
Step 2 – Get FSA ID
- Go to fsaid.ed.gov to sign up
- Save your FSA ID to use each year
- Parents of dependent students also need a FSA ID
The FSA ID will be used each year you apply for FAFSA and to log in to web sites such as studentloans.gov to complete loan documents. Remember to keep this information in a secure place. We recommend using an email address that you will always have access to such as a personal email account when signing up for your FSA ID.
Step 3 – Fill out the FAFSA
- Apply to the FAFSA online or by using myStudentAid mobile app
- NSU’s school code is 003161
- Use the IRS data retrieval tool if possible
Fill out your FAFSA as early as possible on or after October 1st for the upcoming academic year, starting with the fall term.
Step 4 – Sign and Submit
- Enter your FSA ID to serve as your electronic signature
- Click submit
- Review your confirmation page for a possible estimate of your financial aid eligibility
After filing your FAFSA, you will receive either an email with a secure link to view your Student Aid Report (SAR), or a paper copy of your SAR by mail.
Step 5 – Follow up
- Students may contact our office 3-5 business days after submitting FAFSA to check the status of their application
- Monitor NSU email account for notification of award letter or requests for additional information
Request for additional information may include but not limited to verification worksheets, tax
return transcripts, W2s, etc.
Financial Aid will not be awarded until all requested documentation has been submitted to our office and verified by Financial Aid staff. It generally takes 2 weeks for a student to be awarded once their file is complete. During busier times of the school year, it may be up to 4 weeks to receive an award notification via NSU email.