Orientation for IRB Members
- Complete the Protecting Human Research Participants training and certification offered by the National Institute of Health (NIH). The training takes about three hours to complete, but you may complete it a section at a time. Download a copy of your certificate and send it to the IRB Chair upon completion.
- Review the Institutional Review Board Member Handbook (Amdur, 2003), available from the IRB Chair or other IRB member.
- Practice reviewing applications with Chair or other designated IRB member as needed.
- Familiarize yourself with the use of the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra web conferencing tool, as needed. Refer to the Blackboard resources for participants. First time users should check the system requirements. You will need an internal microphone and speakers or a headset.
- Continue to add to your knowledge about the protection of human subjects by taking advantage of the educational resources offered by the OHRP's Division of Education and Development (DED).
Orientation for IRB Chair
- Complete all the requirements for IRB Members, and...
- Complete the Human Subject Assurance Training offered by the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP).
- Familiarize yourself with the book, Institutional Review Board: Management and Function (Bankert & Amdur, 2006). The former IRB Chair has a copy.
- Familiarize yourself with the section of the Code of Federal Regulations that pertains to Protection of Human Subjects, 45 CFR 46 (read as "Title 45 Part 46").
Amdur, R. (2003). Institutional Review Board member handbook. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
Bankert, E. A., & Amdur, R. J. (Eds.). (2006). Institutional Review Board: Management and Function (2nd ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
Blackboard Collaborate. (2011). Getting started for participants quick reference guide. New York, NY: Author. Retrieved from http://www.blackboard.com/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=8e4e8c28-de07-4bb0-a26f-8c1a28f335cd
Brainshark. (n.d.). Blackboard collaborate web conferencing: Participant orientation [Audiovisual]. Retrieved from http://www.brainshark.com/blackboardinc/vu?pi=zGLzYw5XBz35Sgz0