NO PRACTICE SESSION IS SCHEDULED PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT
Date: Saturday, December 15, 2018
Place: NSU Event Center
1041 N Grand Ave
Ceremony Start Times:
College of Business & Technology
College of Liberal Arts
College of Education
College of Science & Health Professions
1. Assembly, Line-up, and Processional for Graduates
• Enter the NSU Event Center through the Community Building (NE corner of building).
• Arrive one hour prior to ceremony
o 8:30 a.m. for the 9:30 a.m. ceremony
o 12:30 p.m. for the 1:30 p.m. ceremony
• Do not bring personal belongings to the line-up area.
• Staff will group students by college and level (bachelors/masters).
• You will proceed in two lines to the arena and remain in line as you enter the arena and proceed down the middle aisle where ushers will assist with seating.
• Please remain standing through the national anthem.
• Listen carefully to officials for instructions and follow ushers’ directions throughout the ceremony.
2. Graduates with Special Needs
• If you need special assistance, contact Brenda Bunch by Thursday, December 13, at firstname.lastname@example.org so arrangements can be made.
• Report to Brenda Bunch in the staging area upon arrival to the Community Building.
Guests with Special Needs
• Limited mobility (i.e. walkers, canes, elderly) – Limited seating is available on the lower level of the arena for your safety in case of an emergency evacuation.
o Guests and their companions will be directed to this special section.
• Wheelchairs – An elevator is available to transport guests in wheelchairs to accessible seating on the mezzanine level.
o Seats for those accompanying guests in wheelchairs are available.
• After the Alma Mater, the mace bearer and platform party will lead the recessional, followed by the faculty and then students.
• Please wait until the usher releases your row, and then maintain the two lines while exiting the arena.
• Faculty and Graduates will be led back through the staging area and exit the community building.
• Plan to meet your guests outside, weather permitting, away from the event center doors to make room for others exiting the building.
4. Refer to the NSU Commencement Dress & Conduct Guidelines for additional Information and Instructions
a. Caps and Gowns
• Caps and gowns are available at the RiverHawk Shoppe along with honor cords.
• Keep the tassel on the right side and do not change the position of the tassel until directed to do so by the President after all have crossed the stage.
There is NOT a secure place to leave personal belongings, and you may be directed to a different seat during the ceremony. Do not carry cell phones, cameras, purses, etc. since you will need both hands free.
b. Graduation Announcements
Graduation announcements may be ordered through CB Graduation Announcements/Balfour (cbgrad.com).
c. Name Card/Free Color Proof Card
Name cards will be distributed at the staging area in the Event Center when you arrive for line-up. You must present the card to the announcer on the stage to have your name read. The photographer uses the information on the back for identification purposes.
After your final grades for the semester are recorded, your eligibility for graduation will be checked. If you meet all requirements and your account with the university is clear, your diploma will be mailed to the address you listed on your application for graduation. Diplomas for fall graduates will be mailed by the middle of February 2019. If there is a concern with your graduation eligibility, you will be notified via your NSU email following final degree verification. Please make sure your contact information is correct and continue to monitor your NSU email account.
SPECIAL REMINDER: Please note that course substitutions, grade changes for incompletes, and transcripts of work completed at other schools MUST BE IN THE OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR BY January 18, 2019, for your name to remain on the roster of graduating students for Fall 2018.
A professional photographer will be taking pictures of graduates prior to entering the stage and as the President congratulates you. There will be no access to the arena floor or stage area for anyone other than graduates and university personnel.
Instructions for participating in the Tahlequah ceremonies (pdf)