Eligibility for Services

Official Request for Accommodation

All students must complete intake forms before any accommodation can be considered.  it is the student's responsibility to put their needs into writing.  This office can counsel or provide recommendations to the student regarding various accommodations that might be available to them, however, it is the student's ultimate responsibility to request a specific service or need.


All students must provide documentation to support their disability(ies).  Documentation must come from a licensed or professional source and should be written on official letterhead.  Students may provide this material from their personal records or sign a release of information to request material from an individual or agency.  Documentation should be dated within a 3 year period of request.  High school sources may provide temporary documentation to  be used for their first semester only and the students will need to be retested using adult based norms.  Your documentation must be in the form of a letter with the statement of your diagnosed disability and how it impacts your classroom ability.  Official medical records are not appropriate and will not be accepted to meet your documentation requirement.  Information obtained is confidential and is used solely for the purposes of documenting a disability and identifying appropriate support services.

Approval Process

The receipt of all completed forms and documentation begin the approval process.  The forms and documentation are reviewed for completeness and the student is scheduled for an intake meeting.  During the intake meeting the student's strengths and weaknesses are discussed to review the appropriateness of all requested accommodations.  Upon completion of the intake process the student and faculty are notified in writing of approved accommodations.

Appeal Procedure

Any student that is denied accommodations is eligible to request an appeal.  The appeal must be submitted in writing to the Coordinator of Student Disability Services within 5 working days of the event.  The appeal file will be given to the Student Disability Services Advisory Board for review and recommendations given to the Dean of Student Affairs.  The student will be notified in writing of the appeal decision.  

Grievance Procedure

Students who wish to contest the decision of their appeal can initiate a grievance using the established university grievance procedure.  The procedure is located in the student handbook as well as  on Student Conduct and Development  under Report a Concern & Grievance Procedures.

Students may also file a complaint with any of the following agencies:

Office for Civil Rights/Kansas City
U.S. Department of Education
8930 Ward Parkway, Suite 2037
Kansas City, MO 64114-3302
(816) 268-0558 (V), (816)823-1404 (Fax)
U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Disability Rights Section-NYAV
Washington , DC 20530
(800)514-0301 (V), (800)514-0383 (TTY)