Tsa La Gi Trail of Tears Award
Cherokee Language Teacher Training Program
Cherokee Nation Scholarships
Choctaw Nation Scholarships
Muscogee (Creek) Nation Scholarships
Chickasaw Nation Scholarships
Seminole Nation Scholarships
Student must submit:
- Be classified as a full-time college or university undergraduate at Northeastern State University
- Have proof of Cherokee tribal membership
- Incoming freshmen must have a GPA of 3.0, or ACT score of 21, or upper 10% of class
- Transfer or continuing college students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- A current photograph
- A one-page typed autobiography
- A copy of your Cherokee Nation Blue Card and/or copy of Verification of Tribal Citizenship with Cherokee Nation
- Official current transcript
- Two letters of reference (turn in with application)
- Completed application form
and return to the Student Program Coordinator at the address below.
: The award amount ranges from $500 - $1400 per academic year.
Friday, June 8, 2018
Student Programs Coordinator
Center for Tribal Studies
Northeastern State University
600 North Grand Avenue
The Cherokee Language Teacher Training Program is designed to create qualified Cherokee language teachers. Cherokee Nation will fund scholarships for five (5) Cherokee language students for four (4) years each for students that attend Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, OK.
- Must demonstrate some conversational Cherokee language
- Ability to have a basic conversation in Cherokee
- Fluency will be increased by Program participation
- Must have a strong desire to speak Cherokee and a passion for the language
- Must have a strong desire to teach and work with children
- Must be a Cherokee Nation Citizen
- Must be a student at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, OK.
- Must enroll as a full time student (12 credit hours minimum)
- Must reside in the contiguous fourteen county jurisdictional area of the Cherokee Nation. Proof of residency required.
- Must submit official transcripts at the end of each semester.
- Must understand participation in the program is a contractual, long-term commitment.
- Must be organized, creative, & flexible.
- Employees of Cherokee Nation and its entities are not eligible.
- Tuition (Northeastern State University in-state)
- Required Books
- Required Fees
- Room/Board Allowance
- Laptop to be provided (subject to equipment loan agreement)
Download the application
and return to CollegeResources@cherokee.org
November 15, 2014
Roy Boney, Jr.
P.O. Box 948, Tahlequah, OK 74464
- Undergraduate/Graduate scholarships
- For internships, students must contact a department of Cherokee Nation they are interested serving with to see if internships are available.
- List of scholarships
- Scholarships from the Chahta Foundation
- College Clothing Program
- Choctaw Nation Scholarship
- Technology Allowance Program: The Choctaw Nation offers a one-time technology allowance to Choctaw tribal members throughout the United States who are currently attending an accredited college or university. If you received a laptop under the College Computer Distribution Program, you have already received these funds and do not qualify for this program. Students must be a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma; however, there are no blood quantum requirements. The Technology Application is closed for the 2017 award year. The application will reopen on January 2018.
- BIA Scholarship Grant
- Charlotte Harjo Scholarship: The Charlotte Harjo scholarship may be awarded to undergraduate students enrolled in at least 12 credit hours while maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or higher or at least 15 credit hours while maintaining a GPA of 2.5 or higher for each semester in college. The award is based on enrollment and classification. The following documentation is required:
- Scholarship Application
- Seminole Nation of Oklahoma membership card
- Typewritten essay (500-600 word - Size 12 font – Name typed and signed in top right corner of first page) describing your past accomplishments, future goals, tribal involvement, community involvement, etc.
- Official sealed college transcript.