Change F-1 Status

To change your U.S. visa status, you can either

(a) travel outside the U.S., apply at a U.S. consulate for the new visa type, and re-enter the U.S. in the new status 


(b) apply for a change of status within the U.S. by sending an application to an immigration service center. To apply within the U.S. to change from F1 student to F2 dependent status, compile the items needed below and mail the application to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Review your complete application with the international student advisor before mailing to USCIS. USCIS could take approximately 3 to 5 months to approve your change of status application.

Items Needed for Application

  1. A letter from you, requesting the change of status and explaining your circumstances and plans for the future. It is highly recommended that the International Student Advisor look at your letter before mailing the packet to USCIS.
  2. Completed form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. You can download the form from The International Student Advisor can help you with items you do not understand. Make sure to complete all parts of the form that apply to changing from an F1 to an F2.
  3. Application Fee: Check the I-539 form instructions for the appropriate fee amount. Please write your check or money order payable to the Department of Homeland Security. Write your I-94 number and type of application you are requesting on your check or money order.
  4. The dependent I-20 created for you by the International Programs Office (or other school if your spouse is not an NSU student). Send the original – not a copy.
  5. Photocopies of your spouse’s immigration documents:
    • ID page of his/her passport
    • Page in passport showing expiration date if different than ID page
    • F1 visa
    • I-20 (all 3 pages). This I-20 should include the financial support for you as dependent
    • I-94 printed out from link listed above
  6. Photocopies of your immigration documents:
    • Your current F1 I-20 (all 3 pages)
    • ID page of your passport
    • Page in passport showing expiration date if different than ID page
    • F1 visa
    • I-94 printed out from link listed above
  7. A photocopy of your marriage certificate (or official “family record”).
  8. Financial documentation: evidence which supports the Financial: Expenses of Dependents section of the I-20. This can include a personal or family bank statement showing access to the required amount for dependents.

Include all of the materials listed above in a packet together and mail by courier service or certified mail to the appropriate USCIS address as stated in the I-539 instructions.

Copies of Documents Needed in the Office of International Programs

After your I-20 and new I-94 are returned to you, send or bring a photocopy of the documents to the Office of International Programs.


Contact Us:

Phone: 1 (918) 444-2050
Fax: 1 (918) 458-2056