Social Security Number (F-1 & J-1 Visas)
Who Can Apply?
F-1 students are not eligible for an Social Security Number (SSN) without an employment offer.
Students are required to submit a job offer letter when applying for a SSN letter from OIP.
The student or department must submit a request through email@example.com and attach a valid job offer letter for on-campus employment. Please see the Documents to Submit for SSN Application section below for more details on what needs to be included in the job offer letter.
Your international student advisor will review the content of the letter, and endorse the job offer letter if it meets the Social Security Administration's standards.
An email will be sent to the F-1 students when their letter is ready for pick-up from the OIP.
J-1 students are eligible to apply for an SSN with or without an employment offer. If you will need the Social Security Number to work on campus, J-1 students will need proper authorization to work on campus from OIP.
In order to request a social security letter and proper work authorization from OIP, submit a request through firstname.lastname@example.org and attach a valid job offer letter for on-campus employment, if applicable. OIP will provide you with a letter endorsed by OIP for the Social Security Administration and the proper work authorization letter.
Documents to Submit for SSN Application
After you have received the proper work authorization document from OIP, you will need to complete an SSN application form and take all of the documents listed below to the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office:
- SSN Application completed using blue or black ink: The SSN Application Form and Instructions are available online.
- Original I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) and a photocopy,
- Original I-94 card and a photocopy,
- Original passport and a photocopy of the picture page, the page showing the expiration date, and your U.S. visa stamp,
- Employment offer letter issued by the hiring department. To comply with the Social
Security Office rules, the following must be included in the job offer letter:
- Student name (as it is listed on the student's passport)
- Start Date
- Number of Hours per week
- Rate of pay
- Contact information for employer and supervisor
- Employment identification number (EIN) (if possible) (This number can be requested from the payroll office of the hiring department.)