Student Financial Services Consumer Information

Consumer Information

Federal regulations require that Northeastern State University provide consumer information to current and prospective students. The Office of Student Financial Services adhere to the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) code of conduct.

Financial Aid Application Process

To obtain the process for applying for federal student aid, go to the Complete the FAFSA page for instructions.

Types of Aid Available

To view the types of aid available, go to Types of Financial Aid. The grant section also contains information on how to purchase books and supplies.

Student Loan Information

To view information regarding student loans please visit our Student Loans page. This page also contains information regarding the National Student Loan Data System and Private/Alternative Education Loans.

Eligibility Requirements for Financial Aid

Visit the Eligibility page to review the conditions and requirements of financial aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

All students who received federal, state, and institutional aid must meet all requirements of NSU's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP). This policy may be viewed on our Academic Progress page.

Withdrawal/Refund Policy

Students who complete withdraw from classes, don't show up to classes, or receive all F grades in any semester may be required to repay/return federal funds for that semester. This policy may be viewed on our Withdrawal page.

Cost of Attendance

Schools that disburse Title IV funds are required to maintain a cost of attendance for students. A cost of attendance is an estimate of average educational expenses for a period of enrollment. You may view the average in-state cost of attendance for undergraduates and graduates on our Cost of Attendance page.

Drug Convictions

The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 included a new student eligibility provision. It provides that a student is ineligible for federal student aid if convicted, under federal or state law, of any offense involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance (generally meaning illegal drugs) while receiving Title IV Financial Assistance. The period of ineligibility begins on the date of conviction and lasts until the end of a statutorily specified period. The student may regain eligibility early by completing a drug rehabilitation program or if the conviction is overturned. Students affected by this law may avoid the loss of eligibility by completing an acceptable drug rehabilitation program. Visit the Federal Student Aid page to read more information regarding drug-related convictions and how they may affect Title IV eligibility.


Notice of Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations

Suspension of Eligibility for Drug Convictions
As prescribed in section 484 of the Higher Education Act, a student who, during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving any Federal grant, loan, or work assistance, is convicted of any offense under any Federal or State law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance shall not be eligible to receive any additional grant, loan, or work assistance from the date of that conviction for the period of time specified in the following table:

Period of Ineligibility for Title IV Federal Aid

Sale of Illegal Drugs Possession of Illegal Drugs
1st Offense 1 year from date of conviction 2 years from date of conviction
2nd Offense 2 years from date of conviction Indefinite Period
3rd Offense Indefinite Period

For individuals convicted of both possession and sale of illegal drugs, the overlapping periods of ineligibility will run concurrently, resulting in the longer period of ineligibility prevailing. Only convictions for an offense occurring during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Federal aid will impact eligibility. Convictions that are reversed, set aside, or removed from the student's record will not impact eligibility, nor will convictions occurring when the student was a juvenile, unless tried as an adult.

A written notice will be provided to each student who has lost eligibility for Title IV Federal financial aid funds due to a drug conviction and will include the methods by which a student can regain eligibility.

Student Responsibilities if Convicted During Period of Enrollment
According to the US Department of Education, if a student is convicted of a drug offense after receiving Federal aid, they must notify Student Financial Services immediately.

That student will
Be immediately ineligible for further aid and will be required to pay back all aid received after the loss of eligibility.
Be required to self-certify their eligibility for Federal aid with regard to drug convictions on the FAFSA.

If a student has been convicted of a drug offense while applying to receive Title IV Federal financial aid, they are required to report the conviction on item number 23 of the FAFSA.

Regaining Eligibility
A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility, the date their conviction is overturned, or the date they complete a qualified drug rehabilitation program, whichever occurs first. A student whose eligibility has been suspended indefinitely may only regain it by successfully completing a qualified drug rehabilitation program.

A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests and satisfy at least one of the following requirements:

Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a Federal, State, or local government program
Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a Federal or State licensed insurance company
Be administered or recognized by a Federal, State, or local government agency or court
Be administered or recognized by a Federal or State licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor

It is the student's responsibility to certify to Student Financial Services that they have successfully completed a rehabilitation program.

For additional information on this requirement call a Federal representative at 1-800-433-3243.