Academic Advising Frequently Asked Questions


Who is my academic advisor?

All NSU students have an Academic Advisor. Your advisor is listed at the top of your Degree Works Audit or under the Student tab in goNSU. If you have not met with your advisor, contact the University Advising Center for assistance.

When do classes start? When are finals?

Check out the Academic Calendar. Pay close attention to exam times as they do not coincide exactly with regular class times.

How do I apply for Academic Forgiveness?

Fill out the Academic Forgiveness form located on the Office of the Registrar website. If you need assistance with this, come to the University Advising Center in the CASE building.

What is my Banner ID Number? Where can I get a Student ID?

Your Banner ID number, also referred to as your N number, is your NSU identification number and can be found on your NSU ID, in Degree Works, and on your personal account in goNSU. It is required on most NSU forms. Once you have enrolled in courses, you can get your student ID in the Case building.

How do I calculate my GPA (Grade Point Average)?

Use the GPA Planning Calculator to figure your current or possible future GPA based on course completion.

How do I declare or change my major?

To declare or change a major or minor, you must visit an Academic Advisor. Walk-ins are welcome, but an appointment guarantees that you will be seen. Before choosing a major, please look over the major requirements which can be accessed from the NSU homepage to help you make your decision.

Where do I go for Enrollment? What classes do I take?

Your Degree Works Audit allows you to see what classes are required and is accessible through goNSU. Students can enroll in courses at any time during the enrollment period by accessing the Add or Drop Classes link in the Registration Tools box on goNSU. If you would like help choosing classes, enrolling for the semester, or adding/dropping classes throughout the semester, please schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor.

Where do I go to check on my FAFSA?

The Financial Aid office is located in the Student Financial Services building. The financial aid office can help you view your existing FAFSA application, current or in-process awards, financial aid standing, holds, and many other personal financial documents. Students can also view most of this information at any time under the Students tab in goNSU.

What are the general education requirements?

General Education courses are the basis of all degree programs offered at NSU. Regardless of your major, you will be required to complete courses on the General Education Requirements. For more information on specific courses required for your intended or declared major, visit with an Academic Advisor working in the college in which you will be completing your degree.

What is a hold or restriction on my account?

A hold or restriction can be placed on your account for many reasons, including a required advisor appointment or unpaid tuition. You may view holds at any time by clicking on the Holds link in the Academic Profile box under the Student tab in goNSU. You will be provided with the type of hold, office or department that placed the hold on your account, and a contact number. To receive assistance in understanding the hold(s) on your account, please contact your Academic Advisor.

Where can I get help for my learning disability?

Students needing accommodations for special services may contact Student Affairs to find out about available services and programs on campus. To request accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), complete and submit the form on the Human Resources site. For other learning disabilities, please contact Donna Agee with Student Affairs Student Disabilities Services at 918-444-2120 or

I need to get my transcript.

Students can view and/or print their unofficial transcript by clicking on the Transcript link in the Academic Profile box under the Student tab on goNSU. Official copies of your transcript can be requested through the same link or by contacting the Registrar's office located in the CASE building.

What to do if I need to withdraw or drop a class?

Withdrawal from single or multiple courses can be done before or during the 12th week through the Add or Drop Classes link under Registration Tools in the Student tab on goNSU. Students withdrawing during this time period will be assigned a "W" regardless of their progress in the course. Students withdrawing after the 12th week will receive their current grade based on their standing in the course unless they receive approval from their instructor. Students must contact the instructor personally to arrange this. It is the responsibility of the student to withdraw from the course and the responsibility of the instructor to assign a "W."

Any student who has already declared their major should consult with their Academic Advisor before withdrawing from courses as it could affect degree completion.

All students should check with Financial Aid before making the decision to withdraw from classes that would drop them below full-time status as it could affect financial aid eligibility.

You can add a class or drop a class by using the Add or Drop Classes link in Registration Tools under the Student tab in goNSU. The approved dates for adding and/or dropping are listed in the Academic Calendar under the Class Schedules link on the NSU homepage. The student must secure approval of the instructor, department chair and/or college dean, and present it to the Registrar's office in order to add a class after the last day to add classes has passed.

To withdraw from all classes at any time, students must go to the Registrar's office located in the CASE building.

For more information contact the Office of the Registrar.

Can I take all online/weekend/night classes?

You may be able to take several online/weekend/night classes in a semester, and our non-traditional class offerings are increasing. However, most majors cannot be completed entirely online or through weekend or evening-only classes. These non-traditional course offerings were created for the purpose of supplementing the traditional course schedule and allowing greater flexibility for students who are unable to attend during regular class times.

Adult students who have an earned Associate's Degree may be eligible to complete a degree online through NSU's College of Extended Learning.

Will my previous college coursework transfer to NSU?

For information regarding transfer course guidelines, visit our Transfer Student Admissions page. If you are a current NSU student with questions regarding previous transfer coursework, please visit with your academic advisor to have your coursework evaluated.

Where can I find the degree requirements for my major?

Students can view the degree requirements for their major through NSU's online catalog. Students can also see degree requirements and remaining coursework on their degree audit through the Degree Works system.

How do I know if I am computer proficient?

Students must demonstrate computer proficiency, which includes the competent use of a variety of software and networking applications. Students may complete the requirement through one of three options:
1. Successfully completing a high school computer science course that meets the State Regents high school curricular requirements; OR
2. Satisfying NSU's computer proficiency assessment; OR
3. Successfully completing CS 1003/IS 1003 Computers in Modern Society or EDUC 4823 Technology in Education (for education majors).

How does goNSU work?

Instructions for navigating goNSU can be found in the Student Self Service Guide (pdf).

Back to Top