Student Career Development Resources | Northeastern State University
The National Association of Colleges and Employers defines Career Readiness as a foundation from which students demonstrate requisite core competencies (soft-skills) that broadly prepare the college educated for success in the workplace and lifelong career management. There are 8 career readiness competencies, each of which can be demonstrated in a variety of ways.
The Career Readiness Certificate is a great way to showcase the skills you learn throughout college that make you ready to compete in the workforce. The certificate is split into three levels: bronze, silver, and gold; and can be done at your own pace. Earn one, or all, it's up to you!
Bronze Level (Level 1)
To earn the Bronze Level Career Readiness Certificate, participants must complete the following:
- Complete Handshake Account
- Create an Optimal Resume Account
- Create a Career Counselor Approved Resume and Upload to Handshake Account
- Take a Career Assessment (MyMajors or FOCUS2)
- Complete a Mock Interview with Career Services (In-Person or via Zoom)
- Join a Student Organization for at least 1 semester, attend meetings and events, and give a short presentation or reflection on how you being active benefitted the organization. Please email reflections to email@example.com with your name, the organization name, and the name of your professor if you are completing this for a class assignment. (*If you are unable to join an organization or attend meetings, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you are eligible for an alternative).
- Submit Bronze Level Completion Form
SILVER LEVEL (LEVEL 2)
To earn the Silver Level Career Readiness Certificate, participants must complete the following:
- Join N-Link
- Conduct an Informational Interview within your Career Field, and post in your Optimal Resume portfolio
- Shadow an Alumnus in your Career Field, and complete the Silver Level: Shadowing Reflection Form
- Attend the NSU Fall or Spring Career or Teacher Job Fair
- Volunteer for Big Event or in the community, and post a reflection in your Optimal Resume Portfolio
- Create an All Star LinkedIn Profile and meet with a Career Counselor for LinkedIn Review
- Submit Silver Level Completion Form
GOLD LEVEL (LEVEL 3)
To earn the Gold Level Career Readiness Certificate, participants must complete the following in the semester leading up to graduation:
- Attend Etiquette or GreenLink Dinner
- Fill out First Destination Survey
- Collect at least 3 Reference Letters, and post in your Optimal Resume Portfolio
- Give a 10 minute Interview Presentation in your Career Field to Career Counselor
- Apply for at least 3 internships in your field and post the application in your Optimal Resume Portfolio
- Complete an Internship in your Career Field, and complete the Gold Level: Internship Reflection Form
- Submit Gold Level Completion Form
* Instructions on How to Create an Optimal Resume Portfolio.
Career Counselors are available on a one-on-one basis to help students with major exploration, career direction, professional document support, and interview assistance. Career Counselors are available to meet in-person, walk-in, online, or via the phone.
- Walk-In Wednesday counseling is offering from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. on the Tahlequah and
Broken Arrow Campuses*
- For questions call 918-444-3110 or email email@example.com
- Career Counselors serve current students and alumni. Appointments can be scheduled via Handshake using your NSU Username and Password
If you are more than 15 minutes late, and have not let the counselor or front desk know prior, you may be required to reschedule the appointment for another time.
We request that if you have to cancel an appointment, please do it 24 hours in advance of the appointment
Career Counselors will review resumes and cover letters within 48 business hours of receiving it via email.